Children love to handle new things and most interestingly, new textures
One morning, I invited DD1 to kitchen to show her what the grinder actually did to the soaked dal(urad dal). With intense curiosity in her eyes, she was eager to put her hand and check out how it feels like. Thinking she would feel uncomfortable to scoop out the grinded dal with her hand, I asked her if she needs a ladle to transfer the contents. She immediately said no and very excitedly put her hand into the grinder and transferred all the content until it was completely empty.
There are many things for a child to learn from simple activities at home. There is no specific teaching that needs to be imparted from a book to brain. Just invite the child to various activities and see them learn new things even without you teaching them.
Simple activities to try at home:
- Soak sabudana in water for few minutes and observe how it becomes soft - concept of absorption
- Wipe floor/table with cloth - concept of absorption
- Filter milk - Concept of straining
- Feed Rasam while talking about being careful while handling liquids - concept of states of matter
- We can make a ball out of curry rice but not of rasam because liquid flows, liquid does not have specific shape, it just takes the shape of the container.
- Soak dal for few hours and observe how it grows in size - Concept of soaking and absorption
- Put some objects that float/sink in water - Concept of float/sink
- Immerse a bottle into bucket of water and observe the bubbles formed while the bottle is being filled.
- Archimedes Principle - jump into a pool of water and observe some water(equal volume) being displaced